The Buddy Up™ Harness gives pets the rear lifting support they need to stay active. Fully compatible with the Walkin’ Wheels dog wheelchair, the rear Buddy Up Harness can be used instead of the standard rear leg rings for comfortable hind end support. The Buddy Up harness is the perfect lifting aid for dogs dealing with progressive mobility loss or to incorporate into a patient’s rehabilitation protocol.
- Full body support for pets with weak front and rear legs
- Ideal dog support and rehabilitation harness for injured, senior, or disabled pets
- Fully compatible with the Walkin’ Wheels rear dog wheelchair
- Comfortable for all-day wear
- Ideal for in-hospital use with patients recovering from surgery
- Proves complete lifting support during rehabilitation exercises
- Assist senior patients needing help with weakened limbs, loss of mobility, or balance
- Harness progresses with patients changing mobility needs – ideal for patients with degenerative conditions
Ideal for the following conditions:
How to Incorporate the Walkin’ Buddy Up™ Rear Harness into Your Practice
- In-hospital use during treatment walks for pets with limb weakness, recovering from orthopedic and/or spinal surgery, FCE, or injury from trauma.
- During rehab exercises such as treadmill patterning, weaving, or cavaletti poles for pets with weak legs or recovering from surgery. Great for assisted standing use with weight shifting while still offering support.
- Ideal for canines debilitated due to old age, severe arthritis, or neurological disease. Use with patients dealing with progressive mobility loss that will degenerate and worsen over time. The Buddy Up™ Rear harness can be added for additional front-end support.
- Harness is fully compatible with Medium and Large Walkin’ Wheels wheelchairs. Harness can help ease adjustment into the wheelchair and simplify getting a dog in and out of the cart.
Buddy Up™ Rear
|30 – 45 lbs
|18″ – 23″
|45 – 65 lbs
|22″ – 26″
|65 – 95 lbs
|24″ – 32″
|95 – 150 lbs
|30″ – 42″
- Unclip the front two buckles on the rear harness so that the leg rings hang down from the back. The D-Ring Connector should face the pet’s head.
- Place the blue back panel of the harness over the pet’s lower back.
- Bring the leg rings from behind the pet between the rear legs and fasten the clips on either side at the flank. Ensure the tail is not caught underneath.
- If using with the Front Buddy Up™ harness, fasten the back connection strap between the two D-Ring connectors of the rear harness and front harness. Adjust with the tri-glides for a secure tension between the two harnesses.
- There are two straps on each side of the leg rings; one with the buckle clip to fasten to the back panel of the harness and one with the wheelchair clips. Adjust the buckle clip strap, so the leg rings and back panel of the harness are comfortably snug around the patient’s hips and rear legs.
- You may need to readjust the back connector strap at this point to ensure there is tension to prevent the Rear Buddy Up™ from sliding backward off the rear end of the pet.
- The Rear Buddy Up™ harness is now ready to be used as a lifting aid and to connect to your pet’s rear Walkin’ Wheels Wheelchair. To attach to the wheelchair, pull harness clips up and over the wheelchair frame and push up to clip and into place.
Note- The rear Buddy Up™ must be connected to the front Buddy Up™ with the back connection strap to ensure it stays up on your pet when not in the wheelchair.
Is the Buddy Up™ Rear Harness compatible with my client’s wheelchair?
The Buddy Up™ Rear Harness is compatible with the Medium, Medium/Large, and Large Rear Walkin’ Wheels dog wheelchair. The rear harness can be used to replace the pet’s existing leg rings for hind-end support.
For dogs using a Small or Corgi Walkin’ Wheels wheelchair, we recommend the Warrior Rear Harness or Warrior Front Harness.
My patient’s front legs have started to weaken. Is there a compatible front harness?
The Buddy Up™ lift harness can adapt to a pet’s changing mobility. Our fully compatible Buddy Up™ Front Harness can be added to give your client additional front support. Both harnesses can easily clip into the dog’s Walkin’ Wheels wheelchair (sizes Medium and Large).
Can the rear harness be left on for extended periods of time?
When using the Buddy Up™ Rear Harness on its own, the harness should be worn only when the dog needs quick lifting support. When worn without the front Buddy Up™ Harness, the rear support can slip off and could cause injury. If you would like to keep the harness on a dog for extended periods, we recommend purchasing the Buddy Up™ Front Harness as well. The rear harness connects to the front harness to keep it safely in position.
Can pets go to the bathroom while wearing the Buddy Up™ Harness?
Yes, both male and female dogs should be able to comfortably pee and poop while wearing their Buddy Up™ Harness. The rear harness supports your pet from underneath with a leg ring-style saddle, leaving plenty of room in front and behind for the dog to relieve itself cleanly.